From: conditioner -please advise! (22.214.171.124)
I have thick, course hair that has become very dry, brittle, and stiff, I think, due to TR, BKT, color, heat styling, and possibly age (I'm turning 40 this year).
I have cut quite a bit of it off and there's really nothing I can do with it right now but put it up in a bun. I can't even really wear a ponytail because the ends are so stiff that they stick straight out, rather than curving under,
I know I probably shouldn't get my hair wet every night, but it feels much better when it is wet. It has a spongy, porous feeling, but I prefer that to the brittle texture it has when it dries.
Lately, my routine has been to put deep conditioner in it at night (mositure, not protein -- usually Kerastase Oleo Rleax) and sleep with it in my hair overnight. Then I was it out in the morning, put it in a bun, and let it air dry.
I have heard that it is possible to "over condition" so I'm hoping that I'm not making my hair worse. I don't think it feels worse than it did when I started this routine, but it doesn't feel much better either.
So ... my questions are:
1. Is it o.k. to leave conditioner in my hair overnight every night. Can anybody recommend a good one for this purpose?
2. I have sought advice from several different stylists about my hair damage and had lots of different opinions on what went wrong with my hair, including: heat damage, TR damage, just my natural texture coming back. My TR stylit is in NYC, so it's not possible for him to look at my hair. How can I determine what went wrong???? My previous hair history:
thick, dense, course, 50-70% grey hair
1. 20 vol. single process color every 3-4 weeks
2. 5 BKT's (marcia) from March, 2007- November, 2007
3. Liscio TR -- pre-softened with cystine (sp?) and then straightened with strongest formula (very experienced stylist) - June, 2008
4. Once or twice per week salon blow-outs from November, 2007- August, 2008 without washing in between.
5. My hair looked o.k. for the first two months after the Liscio straightener in June. Not as much body as I would have liked, but healthy. I started noticing the damage in August.
Any advice would be appreciated.